Friday, February 24, 2012

"Beautiful Days" by Anna Godbersen

"Beautiful Days: A Bright Young Things Novel"
by Anna Godbersen
234 pages (nook edition)


Short Version: Cordelia & Letty are no longer small town girls; they are New Yorkers. Cordelia tries to live the life her father would have wanted and Letty chases her dream to become a star.

Why I Read It: This is the sequel to "Bright Young Things" so I wanted to see where the story was going to end up.

The Book: From Goodreads
After a month in New York, Cordelia Grey and Letty Larkspur are small-town girls no longer. They spend their afternoons with Astrid Donal at the Greys' lush Long Island estate and their nights in Manhattan's bustling metropolis. But Letty's not content to be a mere socialite. She is ready at last to chase her Broadway dreams - no matter the cost.
Cordelia is still reeling from the death of her father at the hands of Thom Hale, the man she thought she loved. Now she is set to honor Darius Grey's legacy... and take her revenge.
Promised to Cordelia's half brother, Astrid is caught up in a world of dazzling jewels and glittering nights - and the sparkle is blinding. Charlie Grey is a gangster playing a dangerous game; and for Astrid, Cordelia, and Letty, the stakes could be deadly


My Thoughts: I enjoyed this sequel as much as the first book. It was such an easy going read, which is what I need right now. The friendship dynamics were a little different in this book because Cordelia and Letty are friends again, but Cordelia also has Astrid. At times Letty seems to be the odd one out, but she does a great job of lifting herself up and pursuing her dreams of becoming a star. Cordelia seems to learn a lot as well as she follows in her father's footsteps and opens a speakeasy. Astrid never seems to learn much as her and Charlie just continue to be an on-again/off-again couple. However, in the end of the book she has an eye opening experience that checks her into reality. I don't want to spoil the ending but there were times when I felt Godbersen did not make the action seem real. Like when Charlie came to the rescue, he just came in and saved the day with no one to stand in his way or fight him off. It just made what could have been an action scene a little lame.
As I mentioned in my review of "Bright Young Things" I loved reading about this time period. I wish I was in New York with Cordelia, Letty, and Astrid spending my days at the pool or country club and my nights in glamorous dresses at all the fun speakeasies.

4/5 Stars

#2 for 2012 Ebook Challenge
Click here for full list

2 comments:

  1. Great Review. This book made me wish i could live in the 20s too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tagged you! Can't wait to read your answers! Tagged

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I appreciate all comments and will try to reply as soon as possible.